2009-2010: Go for the G.O.A.L.
The 2009-2010 season has been MorTorq’s most successful season yet. In accordance with the year’s FRC game, our team’s theme for the Chairman’s Award was “Go for the G.O.A.L.” MorTorq continued partnerships with APLA, the Ronald McDonald House Charities, and Cedars-Sinai, and established a new relationship as a partner school with the Obama School in Darfur. Additionally, Team 1515 mentored six FRC teams and started a FLL team. “Go for the goal” they did, and in recognition of our team’s efforts, MorTorq scooped up the Regional Winner and Motorola Quality awards at the Portland, Oregon Regional Competition and won the Chairman’s Award (the most prestigious award FIRST offers) at the L.A. Regional Competition. These wins have been huge triumphs for the team members and mentors, who have worked tirelessly since our team’s inception six years ago in the hopes of earning such success.
- Chairman’s Award (Los Angeles, CA)
- Regional Championship (Portland, OR)
- Motorola Quality Award (Portland, OR)
- Autodesk Excellence in Script/Sound
2010 Robot: “StrikerT”
- Nicknames: MechBot
- Weight: 120 lbs.
- Height: 30 in.
- Width: 28 in.
- Length: 38 in.
- Drive Train: 4-wheel mecanum drive
- FIRST Game: Breakaway
- Explanation: Breakaway was very similar to soccer: robots on the field would kick balls into each of its goals. StrikerT was a defensive robot. Its drive train was extremely strong so that it could easily stop other robots from scoring.