2006-2007: Spreading the Word
Despite losing the majority of its experienced members and switching teachers again, MorTorq team recruited over 120 new members and was recognized as a ROP class. The team acquired Los Angeles County ROP and the Beverly Hilton Hotel as corporate sponsors. The team started MorTorq TV as a means of communication within the Beverly Hills community and technological world. The show broadcasts on a local television station, viewable on youtube.com, and can be downloaded on iTunes for free. The team also started sending out professional weekly newsletters to the team, Beverly Hills High School PTSA, and anyone who subscribed. The 2007 FIRST game “Rack and Roll” gave MorTorq many design challenges. The team went with a six wheel drive robot with a telescoping arm mounted on a pivot point in the middle of the robot. The arm can pivot about 250 degrees.
- Regional Finalist (Denver, CO)
- DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award (Denver, CO)
- Imagery Award (Los Angeles, CA)
- Autodesk Visualization Award (Los Angeles, CA)
- Website Award (Los Angeles, CA)
2007 Robot: “Mad Max”
- Nicknames: Black Hawk, The MON
- Weight: 113 lbs.
- Height: 48 in.
- Width: 27.5 in.
- Length: 37 in.
- Drive Train: 6-wheel tank drive
- FIRST Game: Rack ‘n Roll
- Explanation: Mad Max used a nine-foot arm to pick up pegs and place them on circular peg structures, playing in a game of tic-tac-toe while creating tic-tac-toe formations.