2005-2006: Setting up Shop
Year two of MorTorq started out with new leaders, a new teacher, and a new attitude. We recruited 100 new members and got down to business. We organized a fundraiser at Cold Stone and started bringing in new sponsors such as Moog Aircraft Group and Mercedes Benz of Beverly Hills. We started to use Quickbooks for our finances, Microsoft Project for management, and we sent out weekly updates via email. 2006 started with the FIRST game “Aim High.” This year, the team created a robot with four wheel drive, a front roller to pick up game piece balls, a neoprene conveyor belt, and a pivoting turret that could fire balls at 12 feet per second. Before MorTorq sent the robot off to the competition, Team 1515 held another fundraiser dinner at Spark Woodfire Grill. The team competed in the Las Vegas, NV Regional and won the Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers Entrepreneurship Award. The team also won the same award at the Los Angeles, CA Regional Competition in addition to the Autodesk Visualisation Award for our 3D Animation. After the main robotics competition was over, the team planned a middle school Vex robotics competition amongst the four Beverly Hills Unified School District middle schools. All the schools came together on Engineering Day to compete with their robot and to celebrate their engineering accomplishments. The team also helped to plan the Beverly Hills Education Foundation’s annual Car Show with Mercedes-Benz of Beverly Hills. The event raised $50,000 for the school district and Team 1515 got a chance to speak with former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- 2006 SCRRF Pre-Ship Scrimmage Champions
- 7th Place (Las Vegas, NV)
- Autodesk Visualization Award (Los Angeles, CA)
- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Entrepreneurship Award (Los Angeles, CA)
- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Entrepreneurship Award (Las Vegas, NV)
- Engineering Inspiration Award presented by Team 4
2006 Robot: “Killer Katie”
- Nicknames: Water Bottle
- Weight: 119 lbs.
- Height: 59 in.
- Width: 27.5 in.
- Length: 37 in.
- Drive Train: 4-wheel tank drive
- FIRST Game: Aim High
- Explanation: Killer Katie shot balls, picked up from the ground via a conveyor belt, into holes of varying placements on the wall.